This classic GE model 7-2990A analog AM, FM, Shortwave set is in good condition. Great for nighttime AM BCB DXing. The tuner is all analog but features a vacuum florescent frequency counter display which is clear and bright. The telescoping whip antenna is long and undamaged, and there are screw terminals for external SW wire and FM antennas. Runs on AC or 6 “D” cell batteries. Battery compartment is clean.
There are a few issues to be aware of:
1. The pots and switches are scratchy and in need of a little deoxit.
2. When running on AC and the dial backlight is on, there is a slight 60 cycle hum. Filter caps perhaps?
3. The tuning knob has “the bump” – a common problem with these units which is caused by a gear in the tuning mechanism getting brittle over time and developing a crack which can be felt while turning the main tuning knob. It’s a bit annoying while tuning around but doesn’t block the functionality. There is a documented procedure to fix this issue for someone with the skill and inclination.
K4SWL takes his GE 7-2990A outside:
This is the unit for sale:
This radio is not small, so I expect shipping to be in the neighborhood of $30 to $50 in the US.
Complete the form below to send a message to this owner.
Top 10 Items
- E.F. Johnson Co. 100ED30 dual air variable capacitor (585 views)
- E.F. Johnson Co. 154-8-98 air variable capacitor (514 views)
- Triplet Model 241-T thermocouple type RF ammeter (512 views)
- Weston Model 425A RF Ammeter (456 views)
- Realistic Crystal Controlled Pocket Weatheradio (439 views)
- CountyComm GP-5/SSB (427 views)
- Digitech AR-1780 (182 views)
- HR 2600 10M All Mode (158 views)
- Heathkit CR-1 Radio (146 views)
- Sony CF-950S (124 views)